Construction analytics firm BCI Central has released its report into the state of the industry, ranking the top 50 builders by the total value of projects that commenced in 2022.
The ‘BCI Construction League 2023’ report shows that these companies began work on almost $30 billion worth of projects last year, but its publication comes during a difficult time for the industry.
In recent months several major companies have collapsed, after struggling in an environment fraught with labour and supply shortages, high material costs and interest rates, and severe weather events. Porter Davis and LLoyd Group became the latest two dominoes to fall within 24 hours of each other at the end of March.
While economic conditions remain unfavourable to the construction industry, it’s likely that companies will continue to collapse. Yet not all construction firms are struggling, with some having capitalised on the abandonment of builds to acquire more contracts, according to BCI Central.
“The builders listed in this report have all adapted and succeeded through the trials facing the industry with innovation and resilience,” says chief data officer Michelle Aizenberg.
Australia’s building giants
BCI Central used its own database and the supplied information of construction firms to assess 2022 projects within the commercial, community, industrial, legal and military, and multi-residential sectors.
“Infrastructure and residential projects provided a steady stream of work and investment, but the year was marked by a resurgence in demand from the commercial sector, including offices, retail and hospitality projects across the country,” says Aizenberg.
The top 10 performing firms accounted for over 40 percent of the projects in the report, with an average project value of $132 million.
The top performing construction firms of 2022 were:
- Hutchinson Builders with a total project value of $2.6 billion across 147 projects,
- Multiplex with a total project value of $2.1 billion across eight projects,
- Richard Crookes Constructions with a total project value of $1.9 billion across 31 projects,
- Lendlease with a total project value of $1.8 billion across seven projects,
- Mirvac Group with a total project value of $1.7 billion across five projects,
- ADCO Constructions with a total project value of $1.6 billion across 28 projects,
- Built with a total project value of $1.5 billion across 74 projects,
- Hickory Group with a total project value of $1.4 billion across 10 projects,
- Hansen Yuncken Pty Ltd with a total project value of $1.1 billion across 29 projects, and
- Deicorp Pty Ltd with a total project value of $1 billion across eight projects.
The full ‘BCI Construction League 2023’ report can be found here.