FM June/July out now!
The Internet of Things has revolutionised much of the way facility managers go about their business, but there’s no doubt it has created a whole new set of challenges as well.
As never before, we’re seeing an extraordinary level of integration between the systems underpinning smart buildings, the people who work in them and the teams that manage and maintain them. But with every technological innovation that comes to the fore, there are legions of criminal types intent on exploiting whatever they can. Insurers would call it business ‘disruption’ until that term was hijacked as a synonym for innovation itself.
In this issue of FM, we look at how prepared facility and building managers are to manage cyber risk. Given the implementation of new data privacy laws and the announcement of a hack into a system or worse every other week, it’s timely to remind FMs that their systems are only as good as the weakest link.
We also profile Peter Dollin, head of workplace in Australia for global behemoth KPMG. It’s easy to assume someone in Peter’s position came through traditional financial services, but his story is unique – starting his working life as a plasterer.
With workplace change and deriving the maximum value from the built environment remaining top of mind for many FMs, we have a special feature on change management, featuring two of our regular columnists, Rodney Timm and Karen Skillings.
This is my final issue as editor of FM and I’ve very much enjoyed immersing myself in such a diverse and stimulating environment. I hope you enjoy the read as much as I’ve enjoyed the ride.
– Michelle Dunner, editor.
Also in this issue…
- We introduce FM Workspace360, a new platform bringing you news of the latest and greatest, and most exciting innovations in the various spheres of facility management. To launch it, FM looks at the new iteration of the WELL building standard
- Humanscale’s Steve Bender explains why the smartest docking stations are device agnostic and leave desks clutter free
- Adrian Cugnetto of Billi reports on the lose-lose reality of bottled water
- ASSA ABLOY’s Brian Cornwell explains why it’s time to go digital for doors and door hardware
- why your cleaning team is the frontline for keeping your facility functioning at its best
- the implications for Wi-Fi in large venues as a result of the world’s first 5G network
- the latest technologies utilised in lift repair and operation, and
- why you need a portfolio change manager.
To subscribe to FM magazine, click here.