GPO Exchange achieves Gold WELL certification – a first for SA
Adelaide office building GPO Exchange made a range of changes to lift its Silver rating to Gold in the international building standard.
The International Well Building Institute (IWBI)’s WELL Building Standard focuses on enhancing people’s health and wellness through the buildings in which we live, work and play.
The Institute has recognised GPO Exchange, which is considered one of the most innovative and technologically advanced smart buildings in Australia and introduced the following to win the lift from Silver to Gold:
- a ‘green cleaning protocol’, which uses non-toxic cleaning materials to maintain indoor air quality
- ongoing water quality testing
- attention to the design of high-touch surfaces, to enable them to be deep cleaned regularly to mitigate bacteria and virus transmission
- better storage of cleaning chemicals to enable the highest degree of cleanliness
- food policies that support healthier eating choices
- end-of-trip facilities to encourage cycling to work and physical activity during lunch breaks, and
- a report highlighting biophilic design features incorporated into the building to support the health and well-being of occupants.
GPO Exchange, a Charter Hall building, has secured a number of other performance and sustainability certifications, including a 6 Star Green Star Design and As Built rating, 5.5 Star NABERS Energy rating, 5 Star NABERS Water rating and 5 Star NABERS Indoor Environment ratings.
Sharing the success of the Gold WELL certification, Charter Hall development executive George Roussos thanked a number of partners: “The leading edge South Australian-first result could not be achieved without the efforts of our project team – construction partner Built, project manager RCP, architect Hassell, building consultants Floth and the entire Charter Hall team.”