Round three: NSW Waste Less, Recycle More Landfill Consolidation grants
The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) has released its third round of Landfill Consolidation grants under the $337 million NSW Government Waste Less, Recycle More initiative (WLRM).
The initiative provides $5 million to regional councils to support consolidation, closure and environmental improvements of landfills. Round three will award $2.5 million in 2017 and round four will award $2.5 million in 2018. The grants will be available to councils in the regional levy area and non-regulated area of NSW.
The program has been designed to support regional councils address potential liabilities posed by landfill activities, reduce environmental risks, and contribute to the long-term protection of the environment. It aims to address current issues facing regional and rural landfills including end of life, minimal cover, site security and access and overall supervision.
The new grants offer funding to support the consolidation and closure of, and environmental improvements at landfills outside the metropolitan levy areas. The new grant funding is summarised below:
Grant: Landfill Consolidation
Eligible applicants: Local councils in the regional regulated area and non-regulated area, regional waste groups, regional organisations of councils.
Note: councils in the metropolitan levy areas (MLA) are not eligible for this grant.
Project requirements: Stream 1: Landfill Consolidation and Closure. Stream 2: Environmental Improvements of Landfills.
- What will be funded?
- Stream 1: Final capping material, equipment hire for closure works, fencing for site, establishment of a transfer station within the (to be closed or recently closed) landfill site, demountable buildings.
- Stream 2: equipment hire for improvement works, fencing, litter control, signage, security, separation infrastructure.
- What will not be funded?
- Land acquisition, commenced/completed works, operational training, equipment purchase and maintenance costs, operational expenses, and stormwater/leachate systems.
- Funding per applicant:
- Up to $200,000 per stream
- Up to 70 percent of eligible costs. The remaining 30 percent must be covered by the applicant’s in-kind or financial contributions
- Applicants may apply to both stream 1 and stream 2 (separate applications required).
Previous recipients of Landfill Consolidation grant funding may apply for further funding.
Closing date: 5pm Thursday 23 November, 2017
Image: Amnuai Butala © 123RF.com